Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nail shoe molding to baseboard or floor

RicodJour wrote:
wrote:
Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Hi,
should a shoe molding be nailed to the baseboard or to the hardwood floor?

Always nail to the base board. Unless the wall is a masonry product.

If you can nail the baseboard to the masonry wall, you can nail the
shoe to the baseboard, no?

It's also not hard to nail to masonry. Drill a hole, insert a dowel,
cut flush, nail into the dowel.

Yep.

That's my personal call though, If I have an elevated fireplace hearth,
I'll nail to the floor or glue to the masonry with a silicone or a
clear latex caulking. I wont nail it every 12", maybe 1 at each end,
maybe one in the middle. On new construction, when the mortar is still
green, I try to avoid cracking the joints. Pounding nails into dowels
either in the mortar joint or bricks, does nothing to avoid this. On
older construction, this will not be so much of a problem. I can't
recall ever seeing base board run around an elevated hearth though. If
I had to run base around an elevated hearth, I'd use lead insert
anchors and trim screws to fasten. Then you could fasten the shoe to
the base.

Yep.

Tom in KY, Nailing through the floor voids the warranty on some
laminated flooring materials. If the floor shrinks away from a parallel
wall, then the floor will crack open at a joint and may come apart or,
delaminate, splinter on the edge and possibly curl up and grab a foot!