Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Default He said No to Walmart

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:50:31 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
In misc.survivalism Dave Lyon wrote:

Unfortunately, ethanol is probably not a long term solution. We

simply
don't
have enough crop land to supply our energy needs.

No one souce is a "long term solution". Not even oil.

Sources I've seen over the past few months, DOE-related, say up to 6% of
motor-fuel consumption could come from biodiesel (others say this would
require an all-out effort); 5% from corn-based ethanol; up to 12% from
cellulosic ethanol.

Every little bit helps.

Global warming?

Someone forgot coal gasification too.
--
Cliff

Burning corn is thought to be CO2 neutral. Yes, it produces CO2 when you
burn it, but it consumes CO2 when you grow it.
Nearly anything carbon based can be gasified, including coal, and wood, and
grass. But, the process is very expensive.

I believe our short term energy needs will probably be best handled by
nuclear power.