Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Barry Jarrett

Default OT - Stella

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:35:03 -0500, Cliff wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:20:56 -0800, "Jeff McCann"
wrote:

they modified their equipment to make coffee that was much hotter than
the familiar and safe industry standard of about 135 degrees.

This is probably sort of key.
What it's brewed at *in the grounds* is one thing, it's
final temp in the pot quite another.
They kept it too hot in the pot.

no, they didn't.

brew temp is recommended at 195-205F.

recommended hold temp, off the top of my head, is about 185F.

serving temp will be a few degrees cooler, as coffee loses heat when
it is poured into a cup. my own testing has shown about a 10F drop
when pouring coffee through 4" of air into a polyfoam cup.

consumption temperature begins a few degrees down from there, and
coffee loses heat at about 1F per minute in an open cup. there is
obviously less heat loss with a lid, and greater heat loss when
cream/sugar is added and/or the coffee is stirred.