Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

Default O.T.Poster's Intellect

wrote

Actually the economy is doing extremely well
especially in the face of high oil prices.
Growing about 4% a year is good.

What's growing at 4%? Total GDP?

If so, the first thing to ask is: how fast is population growing? Having
4% GDP growth with 5% population growth is like getting a 4% raise when
there's 5% inflation.

The second, and more important, question is: how is the increase
distributed? If 4% growth happens by virtue of the Forbes 400 doubling
their income, while everybody else's stays flat, does that make you feel
just as good as if _you_ got a 4% raise?

I'm not saying I know the answer to either question. I'm only saying that
"4% growth" is a meaningless statistic all by itself.

Bush is obviously going to have to find something else to do. There is
an amendment to the constitution that limits presidents to two terms.

Ah, but Dubya is a "war President" ...

-- TP