Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!!

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 03:38:49 GMT, The Hurdy Gurdy Man
wrote:

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Well, if you are going via dialup, you aren't using eth0. You are
using an ethernet device called ppp0. (if you are using ADSL not
dial up then everything changes...)

So don't bother messing about with eth0, ignore it. Do everything you
were thinking of doing with eth0 but do it with ppp0 instead.

I'm wondering if he'd benefit from completely disabling eth0 for the time
being. As in putting something like 'alias eth0 off' in /etc/modules.conf
(assuming that's what he's got, and not /etc/modprobe.conf... I'm on a FC4
machine, which differs). At least then there'd be no chance of something
changing the default route to eth0, and the likelyhood of errors being
logged someplace that would help track down the offending process.

Back when I used to use PPP with Linux, there was an /etc/ppp directory
that contained startup and shutdown scripts, and those were what would set
the default route to what it should be. That was a while ago, though. It
has most likely changed, although I do still see that directory on my FC4
box. Still, it doesn't seem like devices ever alter the default route when
they come up. All they ever do is add a route to the network considered
local to their address. I would think that it would be sufficient to
statically assign a benign address (like 10.0.0.1) to eth0, and hopefully
there would be scripts smart enough to add/change the default route when
ppp0 comes up. That's certainly the way I had it working back in the days
before DSL.

Heck, Gunner, if you were going to be in the Pasadena area, I'd say just
drop it off and let me see if I can get it running some afternoon. I haven't
played with PPP in years, it'd be an interesting walk down memory lane.

I go through there at least twice a week. If I cant muddle through
it..Id love to have you look it over.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,