Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default New Boiler = Room Stat = Part 'P' & Part 'L' question (long)

Tim S wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 01:05:54 +0000, chris French wrote:

In message , .
writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
right, now you're up to speed :-) can you see any problems with
the cable run following the gas pipe in the diagram depicted in my
original post, in relation to the various regulations ?

Well a quick look shows that it is non-viable, as you may not
conceal wiring behind the skirting board unless mechanically
protected or
bury it more than 50mm deep.

mechanically protected you say ?

perhaps behind a 22mm gas pipe behind

a skirting board which has already been
passed by a BCO ? see where I'm going ? quick, dirty yet within the
regs

No that wouldn't be mechanically protected - it needs to be in steel
conduit, or covered with suitable steel plate

Having just conferred with someone on the IEE forums, there is another
option, which is to use a cable with an earthed screen designed to
provide protection in the event of being punctured by a conductive
object.

Specific cables which are quoted as OK to run outside of the permitted
zones are Lapp XL-Shield and FP200.

XL-Shield is interesting stuff - earth core which remains in contact
with a foil screen along the entire length of the cable. No special
termination techniques or fittings needed. Details he

http://www.lapplimited.co.uk/product...fixedcable.htm

FP200 is more common, though, being used in fire systems. I'm not
sure if it required special termination.

Both types are fiendishly expensive (1-1.50 per metre), friendly trade
counter might sell it cut.

HTH

Tim

Outstanding example of the glory of usenet !

many thanks Tim