Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

Default Basement finishing question

"Laura" wrote in message
Hi all, I am finishing my basement in a Split Entry style home. I noticed
that the overhang from top level over lower level is not well sealed.
There is only a vinyl soffit piece blocking air/heat flow. Should I block
this area with additional insulation or actually board it up? I assume it
was done this way for ventilation, as you would do with an attic, but this
is now a living space.

thanks to all replies!

Laura

My house was done like that and they actually had perforated vinyl soffit
vents just above ground level that exposed 3 of my upstairs heat/AC
registers and ductwork to the outdoor elements. One was in the cantilevered
part of a bedroom and 2 were under bay windows.
I have since plugged most the these areas up with pieces of OSB with 'great
stuff'' foam insulation + pieces of fiberglass insulation over that. I
left the many cavities open to the inside basement so as not to create any
dead air spaces.
Not sure if what I did was correct, but it did make a big difference in my
house.

Kevin