Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Oiling a Floor?

"Rob" wrote in message
I have variable width, wide pine floors and I recently removed old carpet
and sanded the floors in one room with relatively low foot traffic. I am
new to floor refinishing, and was curious if my idea that follows would
work:

I was thinking of oiling the floor in this one room as an experiment to
see if it looks good, maybe using tongue oil (but I am not sure which oil
to use). What I want to know is:

1) Will oiling a floor cause any problems down the line if I ultimately
decide to polyurethane the floor? In other words, will the oil interfere
with polyurethane if I poly the floor in say a year?

2) What is the best sort of oil to use for a floor, and if I do use an
oil, is oil enough, or do I need to cover the floor insomething after
(like wax)?

The reason I want to try something else before polyurethane is that I
don't completely like the look of polyurethane given it is so shiny...

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Rob

I've seen these floors in person and they are very rich looking
http://www.velvitoil.com/Floors.htm

http://www.velvitoil.com/velvitoilinfosheet.htm

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/12214.shtml
OIL FINISHES

Most penetrating oil sealers/finishers are combinations of highly modified
natural oil, such as linseed or tung oil, with additives to improve hardness
and drying. Adding wax to oil-finished floor will afford protection against
spills and abrasion, although the manufacturers of some finishes such as
Velvit oil maintain that their products do not require wax.

a.. ADVANTAGES: Easy to apply and repair (just brush or rub on another
coat). Good durability. Will not crack, craze or peel. Low luster - popular
with installers and users of traditional softwood flooring.
b.. DISADVANTAGES: Not as durable as other finishes. Can take a long time
to completely cure. Surface may collect dust. Can water-spot. Some finishes
require waxing. Strong initial odor. Combustible.