Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Locksmithing? Isn't that kinda like Knife Sharpening?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Simpson Magee wrote:
Remember those trucks that used to cruise the hood back in the 1950's
with a loud clanging bell?

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.

Today a $10.00 tool does it.

There is no $10.00 tool that can properly sharpen knives and scissors.
This is no tool that an unskilled user can sharpen knives and scissors
with.

That thing on the back of my can opener does an acceptable job on really
dull knives but I do not expect or need a razor edge. It's not foolproof,
you can just as easily flatten the edge, you do need to develop some skill
but isn't that true of almost everything.

What happened?
People got smart.
Tools got better.\
The internet exposed the *secrets* of the braindead locksmith.

Isn't locksmithing kind of like that?

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs.
Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

Residential locksmithing may be obsolete but comercially it is still a
viable trade (though not many openings). Many companies have the need to
rekey many doors at once or repair heavy duty metal door locks or maintain
electronic locking systems (of which there are many to choose and all have
installation issues). It appears that door and window companies also
provide locksmithing services.

The locksmith shop that occupied the corner of the town near where I grew up
now has an antique store in that locale. I do think the "Corner Shop" model
of locksmithing is dead.

Your image of what a locksmith does is what's antiquated.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset,
fabricating pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost
$29.95?

I would not work on a $29.95 lock set. But I should would be willing
to have a good lock worked on.

I can see it for antique's, but no person with half an ounce of common
sense would let a locksmith anywhere near an antique lock.

They would drill it and ruin it in short order.

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Sell ice?

BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

--
Joseph Meehan