Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default 1987 homes compare to newer homes

wrote in message
oups.com...
older home will cost much more to heat and cool. due to poor
insulation.

if your going for the long haul newer moree efficent might be better buy

That depends on the builder. Many newer homes do not have any improvement,
insulation-wise, over many older homes. We had a home built in 1980 that
was extremely well insulated for a conventionally built home. Our new home
is MUCH better insulated because we built it ourselves; 6" exterior walls,
1" Thermax sheeting, Low-E windows, 2" Dow-Board insulation on the basement
walls, Energy roof trusses, etc. I do NOT see any of that on any new homes
around here. All the other homes built since building ours in 1990 are 4"
exterior walls, no extra exterior wall sheathing, no basement insulation,
and standard roof trusses. They are all built like our old house.