Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew H. Wakefield

Default Should I buy this lathe?

Mike, I think I didn't say it very clearly -- the lathe was not in a
basement, but rather (originally) in a basement garage. A few years ago the
seller built a detached garage and moved it in there. Better yet, he never
took it off the dollies he had put it on when he moved it into the new
garage. So the lathe was relatively easy to get. We backed the trailer up to
the garage, swung it down, put down a heavy steel plate. We put chains on
the lathe and pulled it up using a 2-ton hoist. Strapped it securely down,
took it home, eased it back down the trailer into my garage. Jacked it up
and pulled out the dollies. Eventually I'll have to move it back a couple of
feet, but first I needed to have access to the back for cleaning and setting
up the motor & wiring.

Andy

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
How are the two of you going to get it out of the basement and into your
shop?

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:
All,

Many thanks as always for the input. I'm going to pick the lathe up
Tuesday, and a friend of mine who is a professional machinist is going
with me, so hopefully he'll spot anything obvious that I might have
missed. But your comments have helped to quell the little nagging voice
that was saying, "But what if this really is a lemon?" -- thanks!