Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

So, the government makes sure they are. Pay attention please.

falls off chair laughing
Oh. Wait. You're *serious*?

Just like they ensured unleaded was at the pumps. No demand for that
new fangled petrol guv, so we are not 'having any. Until government
says put them it.

And there was me, thinking that was because legislation required
catalytic converters which required unleaded...

So, we scrap energy efficiency and clean air because one dope in 60
million doesn't like stopping.

Clean air? So where's this electricity coming from, then?

I'm just trying to point out that you need to CONVINCE people that
electric cars will work for them. And they won't on current technology.
They will not enable people to do what they need to do. So they won't
have 'em. I'm not talking about the school run or the supermarket run or
popping out with Auntie at the weekend. I'm talking about the people who
actually make the economy of this country run, which often requires
doing a lot of miles every day.

Remote working and teleconferencing are far more likely to make a dent
in the emissions from business miles than changing from localised (and
very tightly controlled) emissions to remote and centralised emissions.
And they ain't exactly making that big a dent. Why? Because doing
business just works better face-to-face.

Perhaps if inter-city public transport wasn't so damned expensive and
crap it'd help, too.

OK, you seem to be an electric car expert. Inform me. Enlighten me.
Convert me. What sort of battery capacity would I need to propel a
ton

It doesn't matter. the car and battery will be sized to suit.

So we'll be throwing away all the impact test requirements, will we?
Because they're largely what makes modern cars so damn lardy.

What's the life expectancy of
these batteries?

15 years minium.

********.

And the replacement cost?

Cheap when we all use them.

********.

And the production and recycling of all those lovely toxic chemicals in
the batteries?

Right. Now - what goes INTO those
power stations, and what else comes
OUT of them?

Oh a quiz. Er, er, er, energy goes in. Got it in one.

Clue :-
In - http://www.aepuk.com/need_info.php#4

Yep, currently mainly coal.

Out -
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...mages/gafg06.g
if
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/.../gaemunece.htm

Yep, currently more than transport.

Nice clean stuff, electricity, innit? No.