Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

Default electrical questions - cooktop and oven

On 2006-01-03, wrote:

Also the manufacturer recommends a time-delay fuse or circuit breaker
and a separate circuit for each.

Can I use the existing 60 amp circuit for both?

Assuming you mean "Should I . . .", the answer is no, since the
manufacturer recommends using separate circuits.

If I need to get two circuits in there, can they share the same
neutral?

240V circuits don't have a neutral, and your two circuits should not
share any wires.

Both appliances will be connected wire-to-wire (no plugs). Can I use
the same box for both of them?

If the box is large enough. That's entirely a box fill issue, as far
as I know.

My suggestion: leave the existing 60 amp wire and box, change its
breaker to 40 amps, and use it for the 40 amp load. For the other
load, run a separate, new, 30 amp line with a new box.

Cheers, Wayne