Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default How to open a B&D work bench?

dean wrote:
Thanks all, I'll try that Jim, I didn't know it was also meant to be
used that way.

Problem is holding down the bottom part when lifting up the top. I
thought I was missing something.

The Workmate story is a great one. Innovator beating the odds and the
big boys at their own game.

The inventor worked on portable workbenches for his own use and used
the services of his aircraft parts factory for casting the pieces.
Magnesium alloys - nothing like the stamped steel things we buy today.
He shopped it around to the big tool houses, no takers. Black & Decker
refused buying the rights for $50K saying that it was a clever thing
but not much of a market. The inventor then proceeded to manufacture
and sell it on his own. A million or so sales later, B&D game back
with hat in hand asking if they could get in on it. The inventor
bought his own island with the royalties.