Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc

Default FM hiss, vintage 1973 receiver

Asimov wrote:
Vintage 70's equipment is making a comeback and is all the rage now.
A big noise is absolutely normal between stations if there is no
muting circuit but when tuned to a station the noise should drop
dramatically. It is also normal to have a little extra hiss in stereo.
However I have no idea how much hiss is normal for your particular
receiver. If it seems excessive then perhaps the components to look at
are electrolytic capacitors around the stereo decoder/demultiplexer
circuitry. If you can find a separation adjustment trimmer, sometimes
reducing the separation a little can lessen the hiss significantly
without affecting the stereo effect too much.

Thanks. Several people are saying that. I'll also look at the power supply
for the tuner section (which has its own regulator). The power may be noisy
or not the correct voltage.