Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Default He said No to Walmart

snip

...lew...

http://healthandenergy.com/ethanol.htm
http://www.physorg.com/news4942.html
http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/Ethanol/

Hope this helps.

From one of those links:

atzek is also concerned about the sustainability of industrial farming

in developing nations where surgarcane and trees are grown as

feedstock for ethanol and other biofuels.

Using United Nations data, he examined the production cycles of
plantations hundreds of billions of

tons of raw material.

"One farm for the local village probably makes sense," he says.

"But if you have a 100,000 acre plantation exporting biomass on
contract to Europe ,

that's a completely different story. From one square meter of land,

you can get roughly one watt of energy.

The price you pay is that in Brazil alone you annually damage a jungle
the size of Greece ."

am I wrong in thinking that a watt is not an appropriate unit of measure
here, that it should be btu's or an equivalent, and that a guy who
doesn't know the difference is not understanding the issue? Even if it
is a misquote and means watt/hr or somesuch, it is still scetchy. If
wood has 7000btu/lb, and we pretend that corn is similar, are we to
believe that , with a btu being worth 1052 watt seconds, that the fuel
value of one meteris .001 btu? I think the various bugs contained in
said sq meter would burn for more.....

and referencing the UN numbers, I don't know what they are but wouldn't
referencing 'best availble methods' be better?