Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Gunner

Default Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!!

On 2 Jan 2006 10:59:41 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:02:57 GMT
Gunner wrote:

When configureing PPP for dialup..its simple..set up your account,
modem, comm port..do a query...let it check..ok..no problem

However..in each and every one of those distros..using 3 differnt
kinds of USR external modems, A Supra 56 external, a Speed modem and
even 2 differnt kinds of internal ISA and PCI modems...

I can dial out. The ISP connects, I get the proper password etc
etc..it says Ive connected at x speed, all the proper lights are lit
on the modem(s), I open my browsers (4)...and it just ****ing sits
there.

First job - open a terminal (called xterm or root shell or terminal)
and do
more /etc/resolv.conf

you should see something like
[zebee@tasma tmp]$ more /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 220.233.0.4
nameserver 220.233.0.3

Earthlinks dns numbers are
207.217.77.82,
207.217.120.83,
207.217.126.81

The numbers that were in there..were completly different.

I did a kppp, entered the dns numbers from earthlink, dialed..it
connected, saild opened resolve..no ppp0: found

there may be other things, but you should have at least one nameserver
line.

If you don't, then your ISP isn't feeding you a nameserver with your
PPP, it might be that your linux distros aren't asking for it. (I"ve
always put 'em in by hand, so can't help with getting it via PPP)

On your ISP's help page they should list things like the mail server
to use, check if they give you a nameserver. If they do, then become
root on your linux box and edit the /etc/resolv.conf file, adding a
line like above, using your ISPs nameserver address.

If there is a nameserver in the resolv.conf, then try pinging it.
given the nameservers above you'd do
[zebee@tasma tmp]$ ping 220.233.0.4
and get something like
[zebee@tasma tmp]$ ping 220.233.0.4

if you don't, then the nameserver IP is likely wrong, ring your ISP
and ask them to tell you the right one.

If you have a nameserver and it pings, then try this:
[zebee@tasma tmp]$ ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (66.102.7.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 66.102.7.104: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=184 ms

If it can't get an IP for google, then the nameserver is bad, ring the
ISP.

IF you can ping and resolve names, then it's a browser setup problem.
Check your proxies.

Zebee

for torturing the cat." Gunner