Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison

Default An extension (pun intended) to this group.......... (Videos for the FAQ site?)

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:00:28 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Jonni
wrote:

A regular of many years, mostly lurker and occasionally received some
great advice in here, I just wanted to run something by the masses to
see what you all think.

There is without doubt and enormous amount of useful DIY information
both within the group and on the accompanying FAQ website but I for one
am great fan of being 'shown' how to do something as well as having it
explained.

Has the group ever considered or discussed the possibility of
introducing short video clips to cover some of the FAQ material?. I
think this would be an invaluable addition to what is already and
excellent source of information. In keeping with the community aspect,
anyone could contribute to site and most importantly everything would be
free!

Some examples of a short vid clip could be:
1) Adding extra sockets
2) Mixing plaster correctly
3) Installing down lighters

One problem I foresee is that perhaps all videos may not be considered
as demonstrating 'best practice' - so a peer review\feedback system
could be introduced so that other could grade the accuracy of the info
in the video

Looking for constructive debate on this - thoughts?.....

Splendid idea. However it's difficult enough to get written material
donated for the FAQ. Others have covered practical issues of hosting,
but its all very well suggesting someone else produces videos (or any
other material for that matter). If someone does offer a decent video
that would be a basis for looking into how/whether to host it. Someone
mentioned editing issues - I would be surprised if we don't have a
video-editor expert lurking nearby.

On a practical point, I have altered the title to give the thread a
better chance of being seen by interested parties. This group is so busy
that many only bother to read articles that they can immediately see
from the title are of interest to them. I'm one of those - that's why it
took me so long to reply, and I very nearly zapped the thread unread.

Including "FAQ" in the title will ensure that my newsreader flags a post
for me to read.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me