Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Default New Boiler = Room Stat = Part 'P' & Part 'L' question (long)

Tim S wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:51:19 +0000, . wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
discover I need TRV on ALL the rads rather tham all but one, and
a room stat into the bargain.

You are mistaken.

I'm not, well, I wasn't, it was the brother in law who said /all/ rads need TRVs
and the interweb said all but one. I was firmly with the web on that one but
he disagreed. I thought that having two stats would confuse the boiler.

Your BiL is definately wrong, unless there is some other mechanism to cut
off the boiler when there is no call for heat. The TRVs can't control the
boiler directly unless they are very fancy.

On the subject of the Honeywell RF units, are you aware that they also do
an RF TRV head as a more obscure part of the range?

I've toyed with that idea, makes multiple zoning a doddle (and
reconfigurable). You might get some benefit by replacing the odd TRV in
certain key areas piecemeal over the course of time.

ie if you fitted the RF roomstat and receiver it leaves the possibility to
add more roomstats and TRVs later.

I /must/ have a room stat so the front room will be the rad without the
TRV, the only issue now is the cable run through the kitchen and behind
the skirting. if it is low voltage I shouldn't have a problem with parts
P & L

There might be something about ELV in special locations (kitchen,
bathroom, with telecomms excepted) and part P, but I
wouldn;t worry too much about it (personal opinion). Part L, well, IMO do
what you like. If it ever becomes a "problem" it's not going to be very
expensive to "rectify" it in this case. Your local BCO's probably got more
to worry about than your boiler controls.

HTH

Tim

Why not just fit the stat next to the boiler, that complies, no
worrying over cable runs!!