Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Replacing a Whole House Water Filter Way too Frequently

Maybe the pipe is too deep in the well.

You could also consider using 2 filters. A coarse prefilter and a second
fine filter after that.

Also try to find a filter that is 2 filters high. So the filters get
stacked in a case. You will get longer life out of the filters that way.

"DarMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a new well (200 feet) and a new house.

There is a whole house filter and it was installed with a 30 micron
filter.

For 6 weeks of normal water usage, there was no problem. Then, the
water would come out of the faucets/showers as if there was no water
pressure. I changed the filter (with another 30 micron), and
immediately everything was fine.

10 days later, the same thing happened. I changed the filter, and
water flow was back.

This cycle of loss of flow, replacing the filter and restoring the flow
repeated 4 days later, then 2, then 2, then 2, then 1, then 1, then it
was only after taking one shower that I had to replace the filter
again. The pump is producing plenty of water. The bladder tank is
producing enough pressure. It really seems to be the filter.

All the while, the filters don't "look" dirty (they were a light gray
color), meaning I couldn't scrape or wash away any muck or dirt. I've
tried 30, 20, and 5 micron filters, as well as the pleated paper,
"felt" material, and string types. I was told to try a 50 or 100
micron filter, but that doesn't seem to make sense (why do I want more
sediment to get through?). The water straight from the pump is clear
when coming out of a hose, but filling up a bucket shows that the water
is a bit cloudy (white/gray).

The only other tidbit of information is that around the time of the
first filter change there was a big rainstorm, and it has been pretty
wet ever since. There are a few drainage issues that the builder hs
yet to work out, so there is some standing water when it is not
raining.

Any help? Do I simply need a larger micron filter? Is this a normal
part of a new well and will it cear up in 2-, 3-, 6-months?

Thanks.