Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Electric heat

Electric furnaces have heat loss thru the ducts in unconditioned spaces.
Radiant floor panels have a slight heat loss to the basement or crawl space.
Radiant ceiling has some heat loss to the attic. Electric baseboard is 100%
efficient. Heat pumps can be 300% to 400% or more efficient, it depends on
your C.O.P.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering buying a house in Massachuseets that has electric
heat. Is electric heat now more economical considering the rising price
of gas and oil. Should I stay away from this house? Is there more than
one type of electric heat?

New England has some of the highest electric rates in the country. Unless
the house is super efficient, I'd avoid it.

I'm not sure what you mean by different types of electric heat. There are
electric furnaces, baseboard, radiant floor panels, heat pumps. In terms

of
operating cost, I don't think thee will be huge differences.