Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.vendors
Cori

Default Help: How thread box-sealing tape in handheld dispenser? [OT]

On Mon 02 Jan 2006 21:19:00, raden wrote:

In message , Cori
writes
Maybe my bargain dispenser is badly designed or maybe I have
threaded it wrongly.

There is only one way to load a roll of tape and get the
adhesive on the correct side

yes the tape does flap around, depending on what type of tape
you're using

I don't like the tape flapping bit! That tape flapping about
seems like a compromise inherent in the design.

Like I said, it depends on which type of tape you have loaded

Polypropylene, vinyl etc ...

Different thickness, rigidity, tearability etc

What type do you have ? I presume you don't know

The tapes are all given to me by 3M and are branded either as Scotch
or Clipper. Will the spec really help? Here is some data from the
spec sheets:

(1) Scotch. Bi-oriented polypropylene backing (0.03 mm) with acrylic
adesive and adhesion of 1.8 N/cm (to steel) and break point at 30%
elongation. Very nice tape.

(2) Scotch. PVC film backing (0.035 mm) with rubber resin adhesive.
Steel adhesion is 2.5 N/cm and break point at 75% elongation.

(3) 'Scotchpar' polyester film backing (0.040 mm) with natural rubber
resin adhesive. Steel adhesion is 2.0 N/cm and break point at 140%
elongation.

(4) Clipper. Bi-oriented polyproylene film backing (0.035 mm) with
unknown zero-dwell-time adhesive. Steel adhesion is 1.1 N/cm and
break point at 150% elongation.

Other spec like static shear and tensile strength don't seem relevant
here but are on the spec sheets.

The last two are specifically box sealing tapes. Not sure what (2)'s
market is and (1) is a general purpose high-strength tape

I wonder how much more complicated it would have been to design
something on the sealing gun which would hold the tape flap in
place. But then I would have to pay more than 99p!