Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default New Boiler = Room Stat = Part 'P' & Part 'L' question (long)

Christian McArdle wrote:
I /must/ have a room stat so the front room will be the rad without
the TRV, the only issue now is the cable run through the kitchen and
behind the skirting. if it is low voltage I shouldn't have a problem
with parts P & L

Well the good news is that it will be low voltage. The bad news is
that it will probably be 230V "low voltage".

eh ? low 230V as in not 415V ? elaborate.

is that right ? I'm only using a cheap £5.99 bimetallic room stat.

Seriously, throw away that w*nky bimetallic stat and fit a proper RF
programmable thermostat. It will be a fraction of the work and it will
probably earn its value back through optimum start and more accurate
control. You can also program it in the comfort of your living room,
rather than requiring a torch in a cupboard to an old style
programmer. With an RF stat, you can normally program it from your
chair, as you can unclip it from the wall.

thanks for that. the bimetallic stat is being fitted in the front room, close to the dining
room door for even temperature sensing and1.5m (thereabouts) directly above the
line I wish to run the single 12m cable for which the holes are alread drilled. no torches
or cupboards will be used in this installation.

£5.99 vs at least £20 for a digital version, it's cost effective for me and any future cost
effectiveness can be dealt with by the new owners. all I really need to determine is the
cable run in relation to the various regulations.

keeping it simple and cheap is the prime mover, adding a £100 RF stat does
not make any sense within this context and as the walls have to be re decorated
anyway, chasing the walls out and running themover with a trowel full of jollop
isn't really a problem.

it's the cable run that's at issue.

tia