Roger N

Default Homebuilding High Temp Furnace.

I'm thinking of building a high temperature furnace/oven/kiln or whatever
you want to call it. Anyone have links to supplies such as insulating
castable refractories, fire brick, heating elements or Kanthal wire, etc?
.....Or links where others have made similar ovens?

If I'm thinking about this correctly, the temperature will max out when the
furnace looses as much heat as is put in it. In other words a small, well
insulated box should be capable of high temperatures without an enormous
amount of heating elements and electricity. I was thinking that 1000 watts
on 120V might be enough for a 6" X 6" X 18" box with 3" insulating fire
brick, if not, perhaps wrap the outside of the box with some high temp
fiberglass insulation.

I noticed some of the Super Kanthal element wires were capable of over 3000
degrees F, sounds like they could be useful for making a small crucible
furnace. Anyone casting iron in the home shop?