Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Caustic Soda Vs One Shot Sulphuric Acid

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:32:53 +0000, Tim S wrote:

| On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:12:13 +0000, Chris Bacon wrote:
|
| Tim S wrote:
| On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 09:06:46 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:
| The Natural Philosopher wrote:
| But I don't understand the rest of it. Soap IS |(or was ) sheep fatand
| caustic...
|
| Is/ was olive oil and caustic. Sheep fat is lanolin IIRC
|
| I though lanolin was sheep sebum, ie wool/skin grease?
|
| Yup, lovely for the hands.... you can buy skin lotion
| with lanolin in it, read the label. It's good.
|
| Yep, you can also buy pure lanolin, sold as "nipple cream" but very good
| for babies with skin problems. Only source I could find was on teh
| Internet, none of the local shops had heard of it.

It used to be extracted from Bradford's sewage at Esholt Sewage works.
Sadly the wool washing trade in Bradford is sadly almost dead, so ATM
no sidelines for Esholt :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net