Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default What to do with old but working A/C Window units and Deer Boen Heaters

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 08:24:18 -0500, mm
wrote:

So if a Hamfest of a ham radio club has a table where it sells things,
I'll give something to that table. If not, if it is small, I may give
it to a vendor of used stuff and tell him he can keep the money when
he sells it. Or, if it is big enough to be noticed, I leave it by the
entrrance with a post-it that says FREE on it, or by the oil-drum
garbage cans.

To comment on my own post. Things left at hamfests are very often
taken by someone who thinks he can fix them or use them, but anything
not taken is collected and turned into trash at the end of the
afternoon, or the next day.

For AC unit and heaters, that woked, I would ask hardware stores if
they want them, to sell. I'd tell them they can keep the money, or do
something nice with part or all of it. (If I were in their shoes, the
harder I had to work to sell the stuff, the less good I would try to
do with the money, like if I had to put them out in the morning and
take them in, If some hardwares stores don't want them, I'd go to a
poorer neighborhood, or a thrift shop, and give them to them, whether
I got a tax receipt or not.

For other kinds of things, especially if one lives on a busy street
and not on a court, one can determine when his trash is connected, and
put the items out by the curb the *following* day, so that there are 3
days or 6 days when someone passing by can take them.

Signs that say FREE, and WORKS make it much more likely someone will
stop and take them.

On one occasion in Brooklyn, NY, I was coming back from the beach on
my bicycle, and I found a 9 inch tv on top of a garbage can just
inside someone's yard. In NY, that means it is there to be taken. So
while I was trying to figure out how to attach it to my little luggage
rack, the owner of the home came out with a lot of twine for me so
that I could tie it to the bike rack. She even told me, "I think it
is just one tube." In fact, it was just a fuse, and the tv still
works fine.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.