Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

Matt wrote:
I have a new interior door and I have some new acrylic paint
from Lowe's. Whats the best way to paint it so that there is
a smooth finish?

I bought a fine brush, but I don't have the technique down
so that I can lay the paint smoothly. I also used a roller
that paints it evenly but doesn't leave a very smooth surface.

Thanks for your help and time,
Matt

Now that everyones beat you with the highbrow techniques, this is what
your looking for being your a Lowes kind of guy (which is most of us).

Take the door off and lay it flat. Sand the door and roll on some
primer on the long surfaces. Then brush the long sufaces with a dampend
high quality brush. A dry brush will grab the paint. Then roll on a
coat of acryilc paint followed by brushing as well. Wait a day and
apply a second coat like the first one. No, it won't look like the oil
based finish but it will make for a nice interior door.

One trick I've used is adding a extender to the paint. ModernMasters
makes an extender for acrylic paints for faux finishing to prolong the
drying time. It works awesome. I used it on gloss painted crown
moulding with top notch results.

--
Bill