Posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

Default Microwave oven capacitor.. Dead short overnight?

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

It worked OK last night, I popped in a meal tonight, pressed the
button.. Overload hum, blue flash from the back, then no display (10
year old Sharp model.)

Since my background is in electronic repair, I opened it up. put a new
fuse in, tried again and saw the flash location, near the big cap in
the rear.. (Unplugged, checked for charge, then metered it. 2 ohms!)
Just to make sure it was really shorted, I connected it in series with
a 1156 automotive bulb and a 12V source. The bulb lights. It's
really shorted..

Nitpicking here, not really shorted, but appears to be acing like a resistor
than a capacitor from what you describe.

It's odd that it went from OK to shorted overnight, but the big
question is: Is there typically any collateral damage when this
happens?

I am not familar with the schematics of microwave circuits, but is the cap
failure the cause, or was it a result of another part failing? Are you sure
the diode isn't trashed? How are you testing it? The breakdown voltage
isn't your typical voltage considering the application. If I were tring to
fix your oven I'd replace the diode too.

(The diode is OK)
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.