Posted to sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Jasen Betts

Default 60 hertz hum

On 2006-01-03, Dennis wrote:
I'm running the output of my computer to my stereo aamplifier.
I'm getting an annoying 60Hz hum through both speakers. This
occurs with all inputs and outputs muted. If I unplug the plug from
the back of the computer the hum stops. Help please,

what about with the computer turned off (but plugged in)?

if it's still there the noise is comiing from the cabling (called a gound
loop)

one thing that helps sometimes is to ensure that the sterio and all the
devices that are connected to it and (subwoofer, DVD player) and any devices
that are connected to them... are all connected to the same electrical outlet
(and to the same filter if any)

if that helps there's a relatively inexpensive device called a audio
isolating transformer that'll probably kill the hum and let you return the
power cabling to its original configuration.

another option would be to go with a non-conductive connection (like fibre
optic if your sterio and sound card support it)

Bye.
Jasen