Rick Hughes

Default Mortar Mix

"John" wrote in message
I have some coping stones to rebed on a low wall (18" high) in our back
garden. The wall was already there when we moved in, so I know nothing
of it's history. The copings are approx 3 ft by 1 ft and just look like
the concrete paving slabs around my garden. As these stones are all
loose and have come unstuck from the original bed of mortar, which is
still on the bricks below, but I will chip it off with a 4" bolster.
What do I do with the mortar mix to make sure they stick!

A simple 4;1 mix with some plasticiser will do the job ... you can add lime
if you have it, but for a small job 4:1 will be good enough.

Apply a coat of diluted PVA first (3 parts PVA to 1 part water) and allow
to become tacky before putting down the mortar.

Rick