Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor Leveler - Advice Needed

YTK wrote:
Some one at this NG recommended LevelQuickRS to level my basement bath
floor. The floor is really out of level and I figure I need 7 bags to level
72 sq. ft. to a depth of approximately 13/16."

If you've used this or a similar product please let me know what tools I'll
need and if the plan I've devised for pouring the mixture needs revision.
Here is my plan: First, I'm going to install the treated lumber plates to
completely enclose the area of the bathroom. Next, I plan on mixing and
pouring about 5 bags in the first pour and then see what, if any, additional
pouring I'll need. Finally, if I need additional coverage I'll estimate and
mix and pour a second and final time. Oh, I'll be applying the primer before
each pour.

If you've used this type of floor leveler I'd appreciate your advice.

YTK in WI

I have used leveling compound before. Just as other forum members have
told you, this stuff is not forgiving. In my opinion, it is only good
for leveling a very small area if you want to pour it and spread it out
and largely depending on its "leveling" property to level itself out.
You definitely need to help it along by spreading it and leveling it;
this means it is not self-leveling.

The other thing is that it become very hard when it cured. This means
if you poured it wrong, you would have a hard time to undo the mistake.
You had better to be certain that you will get it right before you use
it.

Area where you need to pour very deep, you may be better off using
regular concrete (with sand) instead of leveling compound just to save
some money.

My suggestion is to check out the This Old House web site. It has an
article (with pictures) about the way Tom helped a home owner to level
a basement. The article was based on one of the show in "Ask This Old
House" TV show. His method seems like quite managable for a DIYer
despite the fact that I have a reservation about it (I haven't tried
it). The article is free in the last time I check it; you may as well
take a look.

Good luck.

Jay Chan