Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

Primer needs to be sanded to remove woods raised grain and
imperfections, there is only one brushed on primer I know of designed to
be sandable as it has a soft enough cure Benjamin Moore Enamel Underbody
it is advertised for sanding on the can. With 1 coat a pro may do it, or
he may cut an edge. There are only 2 paints I know of that you can paint
glass and have no brushmarks, and Ive tried every oil made, Ben moore
Impervo and P&L Effecto lines, These are top lines around forever , a
gallon of primer, paint, and quart of Penetrol retail I guess for 70$,
But for quality in the best of homes these are the Standard. Penetrol
an oil type thinner actualy allows better flow out for a brushless
finish. I have done high gloss brush that look sprayed and you could see
yourself in the reflection. Once finish coat is on , thats it for apx
1-2 months, sanding earlier only rips up the paint, oils take a year to
fully cure. These days few painters even are aware of what real quality
is. Latex is for apartments and walls.