Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

One rule I always start with is to take the door down and put it on saw
horses. This makes the prep work easier, and when painting, stops any runs
or drips as the paint lays flat. This is on top of all the other
suggestions. I agree, if available, oil base paints rule for this job.

"John Willis" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:19:01 -0800, Matt "No Email" scribbled this
interesting note:

I have a new interior door and I have some new acrylic paint
from Lowe's. Whats the best way to paint it so that there is
a smooth finish?

I bought a fine brush, but I don't have the technique down
so that I can lay the paint smoothly. I also used a roller
that paints it evenly but doesn't leave a very smooth surface.

Thanks for your help and time,
Matt

You want a smooth finish? Follow these instructions...

First, throw away that acrylic paint. Second, clean off all the paint
you've already put on the door. Now, go find some very good oil based
enamel and some very good oil based primer.

Sand the door. Clean the door. Prime the door. Repeat two more times.

Sand the door. Clean the door. Paint the door with the enamel. Repeat
at least one more time.

At the end of this process you will have a very smooth finish. Use
either a very good paint brush made for use with oil based paints, or
learn to use a sprayer. HVLP sprayers work great in this kind of
application, but a paint brush can give almost the same finish if you
are careful and thin the paint a very small amount.

Good luck. You won't get a smooth finish with acrylic paint.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)