Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug Warner

Default Microwave oven HV cap. Working to shorted overnight?

Sharp oven, approx 8 years old. Turned it on tonight, loud hum for
1/2 sec, blue flash from rear, then nothing,.

Since my background is electronics, I opened it, found the 20A fuse
was open and installed a new 10A one ((biggest 250V fuse I had)
Turned on, and observed that the flash came from the capacitor in the
rear. (Can't tell excatly where it was arcing..)

Checked cap for charge (dead), metered it,. 2 ohms!..
As a final test, I connected it in series with my bench supply and a
#1157 automotive bulb, and it lights.. (it really is shorted.)

Has anyone seen this failure mode before? In my past experience, caps
generally fail slowly.

BTW: The HV diode is good, I connected my supply across it with the
curent limit set to a few mA, and ti conducts at about 7V.

--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.