Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Eccentric Turning

"charlie b" wrote in message
Cutting Corners - Eccentricly

I'm hoping there are some Escoulen followers / eccentric turners in the
group who can answer the following questions

When turning multipe centers eccentrics

1. For a given pair of "centers", do you turn at the
"null point" where there's the least "shadow" or
at the most eccentric point where the "shadow"
is greatest?

2. For a given pair of "centers", do you cut in
a cove at each then beads in between or cut
the beads first then the coves connecting them?

Have posted a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
"Eccentric Turning Experiments"
as examples of

a) flat bottom coves at the null points with a bead
cut in the flat area of each cove
b) coves cut at the maximum "shadow" point
and beads connecting them

The blanks were 3/4" x 1 1/4" cherry
with 5 "centers" on each diagonal.

The coves were done with a detail/spindle
gouge and the beads done with a skew.

I've learned HOW to turn eccentric pieces
but I can't foresee the basic outcome prior
to actually turning the piece. Other than
Escoulen's site, is there any other site
that goes into the planning part of eccentric
turning?

Fun stuff this turning thing.

charlie b

============================
Charlie,
I'm sure I can't answer your questions properly since I don't really
understand all I know about using the Escoulen chuck. I've watched him do
his magic, and much of this is due to the chuck he designed and uses. It is
not a purely "multi axis centers" devise. It uses a ball and socket design
that allows indexing as well as tilt adjustments. This permits you to have
adjustments beyond what we would consider as multi axis. In multi axis, we
can start at A center, then move the work piece to a different location on
either end, or both ends. Any of these movements will give you a specific
range of cuts. There must be a way to figure out how these different axis
points will/can affect the final turning shape, but I haven't figured it out
yet. My best advise is to experiment, and to take notes on what positions
you use, and what the end results are. When I get time, that's what I want
to do. Also, I've considered trying to buil a wooden version of the Escoulen
chuck to experiment with. Good luck.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.