Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default General 16018-2-M1

"billh" wrote in message

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
news:Zycuf.123148$2k.55121@pd7tw1no...
Anyone here have this lathe? Pros? Cons? Is the 1 hp motor enough for
what the rest of the lathe can do and is it up-gradeable. I'm just
starting to look at this category of lathe and I would be interested in
comments about similar lathes. I would use it for bowls, deeper hollow
vessels and more as my skills improve. I currently have the Jet midi.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

I don't have that lathe but I have the big General26020VFD which has a 20"
swing and electronic variable speed. It also has a 4-step pulley to
maximize torque at low speeds but it isn't cheap since it lists around
$4500 Cdn retail price. A comparable size Oneway is at least 50% more.
What I really like about my lathe is the electronic variable speed which
will go right down to zero rpm. IMO, starting a large off-balance blank
at 500rpm is too fast in many cases.

Having professed my love for my General, I would suggest you have a look
at the Nova DVR as a possible upgrade for your lathe. The mechanical
variable-speed Reeves drive like the 160 has works but it doesn't have the
range of the electronic variable speed and is subject to more noise and
typical mechanical issues. General International has some electronic
variable speed lathes with rotating headstock which look a bit like the
bed of the General 260 if you look quickly. I have no idea how reliable
and well made they are. General International equipment is made off-shore
(China??, Taiwan??) and should not be confused with General's "General"
line of tools.

billh

To be a little more specific:
I wouldn't trade my General 26020VFD for a Nova DVR but the DVR is a lot
less money about $2500Cdn which would put it more in the range of the 160. I
would never buy a lathe that didn't have electronic variable speed if it
were to be more than a first lathe.
billh