Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Default pushing or pulling a RAS?

A thread to potentially start a war with no winning side, akin to Gullivers
Travel "little end vs big end" war over which end of a boiled egg should be
broken first.

In my opinion the "pull" method is recommended by the manufacturers so that
the carriage can be stored behind the fence to minimize the possibility of
injury once a piece has been cut. This method also means the carriage will
be behind the fence when the motor is started, again reducing the potential
for fingers to be in the way when turning on the RAS. In the US this may
save the manufacturers a lot of legal battles. I was a recipient of a class
action suit which resulted in Emerson having to give away a replacement
blade guard. I expect this was due to some person removing pieces of
fingers or hand due to the 80's design having an open blade.

I have been using my RAS since the early 80's. I quickly realised that if I
parked the carriage behind the fence, I lost a lot of cross cut capacity, so
I changed to the "push" method. I do pay attention to the position of my
left hand whenever I turn on the RAS with my right hand.

It is interesting that a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw is typically used in
"push" mode, but so many people feel that an RAS must be used in "pull"
mode.

I would use whatever feels most appropriate for you.

Dave Paine.

"Toller" wrote in message
I am using my new RAS for real work for the first time today?
I am cutting lap joints with a dado set.

The instructions say to always pull the saw through the work, never push
it.
But I can see the work much better if I push it; pulling it puts the blade
in the way when I position the material.

I have tried it both ways and it seems pretty much action either way.
What is the big deal about pulling rather than pushing?