Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Default Homemade Resistance Soldering Unit

Don,

quote
I would have built the
footswitch box pretty much as he did -- but I would have run a power
cord directly into it, and put an AC outlet controlled by the switch in

the box. Then, it could be used to switch pretty much anything which
needed a footswitch, and the switch would not need to be a particularly

high-current one, either. *Certainly* -- don't use the phone plugs to
switch power line voltages.
unquote

This is almost scary. I was actually thinking of building my setup like
this. In fact, my footswitch is already wired like this. It basically
is a sewing machine switch. I'm still thinking about the microwave
transformer yet. I work at a maintenance facility and we have an
electronics section. I am going to talk to those guys next week and see
if any of them are comfortable pulling the transformer out of a
microwave and making sure the thing is DEAD and then I'll worry about
rewinding the thing.

Mike