Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Soldering and a grease gun.

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:19:45 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
.. .

| I'll just add, either 3M "33" or "66". Usually the latter is
| more expensive. Both of these age well (work good for years)
| and flex good in cold temps.
|
| If you blow through tape quickly (a roll per week/day) use
| the cheap stuff for non-demanding work.
|
| I always keep both cheap and good on hand. Use the cheap
| stuff for pulling, homebrew band-aids... and the good stuff
| when I really didn't want to see/fix it again.
| --
| Leon Fisk

I second that plan. I still do that myself. As a former industrial
maintenance electrician, I always carried at least two rolls then. I went
through temporary applications like crazy, from pulling to short term
hookups. Stuff that I expected to stay put forever, I used Scotch 33+,
which is the best stuff there is. I have a few cheap rolls of other colors
as well, mostly to use for marking wires and such with a sharpie. I've
never used the 66 or 88, though.
The Scotch 70 is a gray tape that has no adhesive, and comes on a roll
with a cellophane backing. It's stretchy and sticks to itself. Gotta use
it with clean hands, but this is awesome stuff. They also make it in red
for high temp applications. Use it a lot on aircraft and high performance
applications. I really like that stuff, but it's very expensive, so I have
to pick the applications carefully. It won't punch through on sharp edges
like vinyl tape does.

Same here.

Gunner, machine tool service tech

for torturing the cat." Gunner