Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

Default Add -on wood furnace plans

On 2 Jan 2006 10:42:05 -0800, "Carlr54555"
wrote:

I'm currently looking for plans for an add on wood furnace i can add to
my forced air lp furnace my heat bill is nearly twice as much as last
year's while using less lp, I can see no other way to cut my bill but
add on wood. wood is cheap up here in the northwoods. the most
expensive thing I foresee is the chimney. I still need to run b-vent
through the roof (Approx 30') for the lp and the whatever is necessary
for the wood furnace. I'm on a very tight budget so any safe money
saving ides you may have would be greatly appreciated.

TIA -

Carl in wisconsin

Carl , Don't have any plans but I have heated with wood for many
years. It would depend on how your house is configured as to
the best way to add a wood burner. A wood burner in a basement
(daylights are best) is the best, as heat rises and all needed beyond
the stove setup is a hi-low thermostat for your furnace that just runs
the blower. That allows the heat to circulate around, no need to
join directly into the furnace itself.

A wood stove in a main living area is very messy but nothing
beats it for heat, if you go that route get a Vermont Casting
or equal grade. I used an Ashley for many years and they are pretty
good for a parlor type.

As for heating with wood on a budget look for a good used stove
and set it up in the basement. A friend of mine heats a 3500 sq ft
three story home with a barrel stove in the basement on just a
couple of fires a day, he goes through maybe 10 cords a year.
He has a fan on the top floor that is ducted to the basement to
circulate the air. It's on a thermostat..

My insurance co wanted a signoff from the local fire dept
before they would cover it. I did the install myself, don't
burn green wood and keep the chimney clean. Good luck

DE