Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Caustic Soda Vs One Shot Sulphuric Acid

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:02:58 +0000, Les Desser wrote:

In article , Andrew
Mawson Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:40:23
writes

In my experience caustic soda is good for fatty deposits - kitchens
etc, and sulphuric acid is good for hair balls - baths & showers.
Beware that sulphuric acid will stain baths and shower trays so be very
careful how you pour it.

Quote from http://proterraonline.homestead.com/homecare_drains.html

Although it is sold commercially as a drain cleaner, never use caustic
soda to open a drain. It will combine with the grease from soap or food
wastes to form an insoluble compound.

That does not compute. I've used it many any times to dissolve fats - on
cookers and in the drains.

It may form insoluble saltst with other things however..but fat seems to be
teh most uysal cause.

Potash lye or caustic potash may
be added to finish opening a drain, but never use them on a completely
stopped up drain. They may take as long as overnight to work, and if you
ultimately have to open the trap, the chemicals would be a hazard.

Maybe US soap and food is different??

I'd agree that a completely blocked drain is something to be wary of.

But I don't understand the rest of it. Soap IS |(or was ) sheep fat and
caustic...