Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Straussfogel

Default Pressure tank overpressurizing

In article .com,
wrote:

could be a bad check valve at the pump. when the pump is in the off
cycle it will allow the water to drain back.the check valve at the tank
will hold and the suction will allow air to be drawn in at the pitless
adapter o ring . when the pump cuts on it will push any air that has
entered into the tank. this is a very common problem with older systems
that have a check valve at the tank.be carefull if you are going to
attempt to pull the pump yourself as they can be very heavy in excess
of 300 pounds. we have to retrive many pumps that customers have
dropped. the cost of getting one out of a well that has fallen a
100-300 feet down the pipe will be greater than the repair would have
been in the first place. the last one we did fell 325 feet and cost
1800 to retrive and another 1400 to replace the pump. but it was still
cheaper than 10,500 for a new 1100 ft well. thanks and good luck. scott

That all makes sense except that I'm not sure this system has a pitless
adapter (is that possible?) The water line comes vertically out the top
of the well casing then through a ninety-deg elbow, through a
checkvalve, then a couple more nineties, a stop valve, then to the
pressure tank, etc. If there is a pitless in the system, can air really
pass the o-ring? I think this is as simple (i.e. cheap) a system as was
available in the '70's judging from the way the rest of the house was
built. Thanks again for your help.

Denny