Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default 1987 homes compare to newer homes

"kelly" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I'm planning to a house in the price range of 200K to 280K.
Originally, I'm going to buy this 5 yr old semi-detached house that
includes appliances, ceramic and hardwood flooring, 3 bdrms, around 1750
square feet, 24 x 85 lot. Then I saw this 19yr old house for the same
price, around the same neigborhood that is 68x100 lot, 4 bedrooms,
approx 2700 square feet house, finished basement,
NO hardwood, NO ceramic, NO appliances, all brick
frontage house, no fence, has AC. I don't read the house being reroofed
or re-windowed over all those years.

19 year old house is not bad, is it? I just have to replace the
roof, windows maybe, and some other stuffs I can't think of. It's the
same price as this tiny semi-detached.

Most of the building practices in effect now were in effect in 1987 so the
house should be of similar construction. Other than your "NO" items above
the items to consider are the efficiency of the HVAC system, the quality of
the windows and the condition of the roof.

HVAC improved a lot in those 14 years. But most builders only installed the
minimum equipment. More than likely the older systems will cost more to run
and are nearing the end of their life. The windows may be adequate or they
could be single glazed. Ten extra years of age on the roof means it is
nearing time for replacement. The insulation may or may not be as good.
That is easy to estimate. R values haven't change per inch of fiberglass in
that time period.

Considering the older home is a wise think to do, IF you take the time to
understand exactly what the risks and rewards are.

Colbyt