Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Soldering copper pipe connected to PEX

D Duddles wrote:
I am installing a humidifier in my house, and I need to tap into the water
line. My builder used PEX plumbing and, of course, I don't have any of the
crimping tools necessary for working on PEX. But, there is a length 3/4"
copper pipe that goes between my water heater intake and the main PEX water
line above. The total length of this copper is only about 2 or 3 feet. I
would like to solder in a tap for the humidfier connection into this copper
section, but I am concerned about the PEX that this pipe is connected to.
Does anyone know how far I have to be away from the PEX connection before I
can safely sweat a fitting into the copper pipe? If I just wrap a wet towel
near the PEX connection (between the crimp and the joint to be soldered),
will this be an adequate heat sink to avoid damage to it?

Yes. If you're 12" away and use a wet towel you have nothing to worry
about.