Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck......How Level is Level?

Even if you only paid $1,500... the deck should be perfect.

FYI: The problem "CAN" be fixed! The issue is whether or not you're
willing to push it.

NOTE: We (contractors) depend on referrals. If he fixes it, then he can
rest assured other perspective deck owners can get a positive referral
from you... (as well as other homeowners in your area). If he doesn't
want to fix it, whenever any one you know is looking to build a new
deck... tell them "not" to use your contractor.

To give your builder the benefit of the doubt, it's posible his level
is out of wack. It happended to me about 10 years ago and I had to
re-hand a set of french doors.
As him to come back and recheck using a different level.

Last spring I completed a 65' deck with twin octagons at opposite ends.
The customer pointed out that "one" side of "one" octagon was
longer than the other sides. (i.e., one side out of 16)

Although it wasn't really noticeable, they were right, one side was
longer than all the other sides by one and a half inches. I figured out
where my framer made the error. To fix it would require that I rip out
two deck sections set a new corner post to correct it. Yikes! (First
time I ever had a customer measure the sides of my octagons) Anyway, I
offered them a credit of $750. They said they didn't want money.
Darn!

Oh well, it took me a half a day to correct, plus material. I made the
framer who screwed up fix for no pay. (it was either that or he could
find another job

In the end... I got a lot of good referrals out of the job.