Posted to alt.home.repair
T-Man16

Default Need Help Wiring Old Compressor

Buffalobill,
The compressor has sat for a long time but It did work that last time
my father had it pluged in...4-5 years ago. I checked for continuity
between the bare terminals on the pressure switch to the motor chasis
and had none. Therefore, we have no faults to ground. The green
safety ground wire is not in the original outlet from the early 1960's
they simply did not practice this at the time. Only the outlets in
areas where moisture is a concern do I find the green safety ground
wire in my home. Therefore, this is the original wiring in the home
and I had no intentions of changing it. However, as stated above I can
utilize the white/neutral wire in the original outlet as a safety
ground if I attach it to the metal chasis of the pressure switch and
then recode this wire as green ground. I do read 240v across the red
and black wire in the outlet.
Thanks for the info