Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default pushing or pulling a RAS?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Toller wrote:
what is this about climbing? I can see that the blade pushs the
material down, and if it does that it must be pushing the saw up, but can
it
really do that? Isn't the saw sufficiently solid to prevent any
movement,
or are you talking about something else.

I did find that pulling the saw makes it want to shoot out and it takes a
bit to control that.

Yep, climbing, shooting out, chasing your a$$ back to the house, All
the same thing.

Motorized feed? What has happened since I've been to Sears?

You attach a cable from the saw to the top of the post. There is a motor
that unwinds when you squeeze the handle at a variable rate. It stops when
you let go and won't move back. A spring pulls the saw back to the post.
So, no matter what happens, the saw can't shoot back because it is
restrained by the motor.

I tried it and didn't care for it, but after cutting the dados I can see
there is legitimate need for it.

Tom in KY, maybe I need to get out more.