Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pushing or pulling a RAS?

Toller wrote:
I am using my new RAS for real work for the first time today?
I am cutting lap joints with a dado set.

The instructions say to always pull the saw through the work, never push it.
But I can see the work much better if I push it; pulling it puts the blade
in the way when I position the material.

I have tried it both ways and it seems pretty much action either way. What
is the big deal about pulling rather than pushing?

RAS = Radial Arm Saw

When you pull the saw through the work the teeth are cutting from the
top down and this both helps hold the workpiece down to the table and
forces it toward the fence.

If you push the saw through the work you would have to pull it forward,
position the board, and then push back. This means you are cutting with
the back of the blade and the force on the work is up.

On my saw there is an adjustable brake that prevents the saw moving
forward faster than the set speed.

I do not understand your comment at all on work visibility. On mine at
the start position the saw and blade are at the rear behind the fence
with the work between you and the blade.

Pull the blade forward a little bit and you can clearly see the teeth
and do any fine adjustment for the cut. If you try a push cut the
blade and motor assembly are between you and the work.