Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Beginner's cutoff problems

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:10:31 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

In article , Gunner Asch
says...

Dont cut off aluminum slow. You can do it at least 500- 800 rpm. And
make sure EVERYTHING on your lathe it locked down, including the
carraige. Aluminum can also..sometimes..benifit by putting a bit of a
positive rake on the end of the tool. Not a lot..but some. Couple
degrees worth. and grind a smidge of relief just behind the cutting
edge so its a very small inverted V with the wide ends of the V doing
the cutting.

The biggest problem I've experienced on small machines (even with the cross
slide gibs tightened) is that even a little hogging will take up the lash on
the crossfeed screw, resulting in a lot of hogging... so raking the bit is
out for my little 6" lathe. The 14" seems not to care.

LLoyd

True enough. When I had my old tired Logan 10, I somehow or another
managed to cut off with a slightly negative tool. Mostly because I
kept burning up cut off tools, before I had learned anything. It also
gave me a decent enough finish with negative rake tooking, if I did
press too hard. Back carragie "ways" were pretty tight, and it didnt
lift the back of the carraige, so I could get away with it.

But aluminum is pretty easy to cut off. Now that 3" chunk of
chromemolley I cut off last night..boy howdy..that was interesting
getting the cut started...then I had to keep pouring the feed to
it..cut pretty nice once I found the magic feed rate..which of course
kept increasing the deeper I got.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner