Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Default what the heck collets does this holder take??

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to John Martin :

Not sure what you mean by an eccentric, unless you're talking about the
cam on one of the quick change systems. That doesn't usually work on
the collet, though.

Collet nosepieces like the ones for the Erickson ER series
collets have an eccentric lip which hooks under a groove in the maximum
diameter point of the collets. This eccentric lip allows the collet to
be hooked under it and tilted into the nosepiece, and when you loosen
the nosepiece, it draws the collet out enough so that you don't need to
tap on the back of the workpiece to release it -- unlike the collets
which came with my old Unimat SL-1000 all those years ago.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thanks, Don. The TG collets have the same self-extracting feature, but
they just snap in to the cap. It is handy. Wish my router had the
same - I hate banging on the sides of the bits to get them to release.

John Martin